
This month I met one of my heroes. A couple of years ago, a close friend lent me the book Mountains Beyond Mountains. The story chronicles the fascinating life and inspiring projects of Dr. Paul Farmer, an infectious disease doctor and founder of the now famous NGO Partners in Health. The book left a huge impression on me. Paul Farmer's story is a concrete testament of the power of individuals doing little things to bring about big change. I highly recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in international affairs, anthropology or health care. Dr. Farmer spoke in Columbus a few weeks ago and Brianna and I had the chance to attend his lecture. He shared experiences from his work all over the world on a variety of public health issues, including projects in rural Haiti, inner-city Boston, Russia, Peru, and Rwanda. Hearing Dr. Farmer speak was inspiring, and got us all fired up to pull a Captain Planet and save the world. It is refreshing to see someone trying to make a difference and succeeding, even without a green mullet.
4 comments:
That is so cool! I may have to check it out.
Lucky you. It's always fun to meet our heroes and realize that they are human.
Timmy bought that book because he heard it was so good. We will have to get it off the shelf, dust it off and give it a read! Thanks for the reminder.
Hey I started a blog. Check us out!
Post a Comment