Sunday, August 24, 2008

Back to School


The official end of summer, as designated by the Red Cross calendar hanging in our kitchen, is September 22nd. However, every student knows that the REAL end of summer comes with the first day of school. Therefore, summer was officially over in the Wheeler household as of last Monday. It's back to school time at OSU College of Medicine. The second year of medical school is the one I have been the most nervous about. Courses are progressively more difficult, and at the end of the school year... boards (Cue intense music in the background).
-
I'm not overly excited to hit the books again, maybe because I know how rough this year could potentially be. I feel more prepared than I was last year for the onslaught of new material that will be coming my way, but it doesn't make the idea of going back to the grind stone any more appealing. On the bright side, 10 months from now I will have the didactics of medical school behind me, I will be working with real patients, and I will officially be Justin C. Wheeler, 1/2 MD.
-

10 comments:

Chris and Tiffiney said...

I am not too keen on hitting the books either. I started today, but the bright side is my studying is easier than yours and I will finally be graduating soon…
-Chris

Kevin said...

I think that's what I like most about working full-time - I have no books to hit! Of course, in a few years, you'll have an MD after your name. All I'll have is a lowly BS...

Jill said...

You are already sounding a lot smarter...didactics? What does that even mean? Just think of the payoff when you are done, and the hard work may seem worth it, especially if you like it. I took my boys into the doctor a couple of weeks ago when they had croup (no, I should not have taken them in) and just got hit with the bill. Ouch!

Brian and Tonya said...

Good luck. You'll make an awesome doctor.

RiBI said...

People keep telling me, "It may not seem like it now, but in the 1st year you have more free time than any other." Well, I still think it takes a lot of time, especially when I have a test the 2nd week of school!

Anyway, good luck on your 2nd year!!

Erik Kokkonen said...

Justin, is that you in the front row of the pic?

Alyson Turley said...

From what I know of Med School (ie: Grey's Anatomy), this is going to be a rough year. Good thing Brianna's around to make it better. Bon chance mon frer.

Julie Lorinda; Adventures of said...

Hey! What's new? I miss you guys like crazy. When are you coming to P-town next?

Chou said...

You will rock those boards, you know. :)

Jamie Younker said...

HEY CHEEZER! I didn't know you two had a blog! I was just lookin' at Chris's page and found ya on his friends list. It's been fun to read up on life in Ohio. So now that the school year is ALMOST half over (I tend to be a "glass is half full" kind of gal) ... what's the verdict? How's the second year of med school measuring up? Glad to hear things are awesome!