Saturday, February 7, 2009

RSBC Challenge! Week 1: Mousse de Abacate



This month Justin and I are taking part in the second annual Run Swim Bike Cook Challenge (Check out the link for the rules, and feel free to join in!). We decided we are too busy/out of shape to do the entire "Ironman Triathlon" individually, so we created our own "team" division (we're hoping to take first). I'm doing the biking and baking. Justin gets stuck running and swimming. I might help a little on the swimming...

This week's baking challenge was to create a dessert using avocado. When I saw the challenge, I was excited because I didn't have to wrack my brain too hard for a recipe idea. I spent 18 months living in Brazil as a missionary, and in Brazil, avocados are always dessert!
One of my favorite desserts in Brazil was mousse (pronounced Moo-See). They make their mousse from all kinds of fruits, and interestingly enough, even avocados. It is a simple and tasty snack. I decided to put a twist to Brazilian mousse and this is what I came up with:

Mousse de Abacate
(Avocado Mousse)

4 ripe, medium sized avocados
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 small limes, juice and zest

Put all ingredients in blender, blend on low until smooth. Refrigerate. Serve chilled, sprinkle with extra lime zest for garnish.


As with all Brazilian mousses, it has a creamy smooth texture and is very rich. You only need a small serving to be satisfied. I served mine with almond shortbread cookies I made from Betty Crocker's 1963 classic Cooky Book. The flavors complemented each other nicely. One week down, a lot of miles to go!

8 comments:

Talyn said...

I'm going to do the running. Period. That's more running than I've accumulated in my entire life, but I'm going to do it.

We got your card. Come back anytime. We miss you when you're running biking swimming and baking far away.

Julie and Spencer said...

My new blog address is http://missjuliebrown.blogspot.com/

Brian and Tonya said...

Oooh. I almost licked the screen, that looks so yummy. Good job on working on the triathalon as a team. I think we're going to start training for a half marathon here at my house.

Chou said...

I love the new blog look! I can't wait to buy some more avocados and make this. I had no idea that the northern hemisphere was so behind in must-have dessert trends!

Susie said...

Bish. Worthen says he makes an avacado shake. Your mousse looks awesome!

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

This is such a great idea!

The avocado mousse was amazing! (Thanks for the taste test)I really can't describe how weird it was to eat an avocado sweet. I felt like my tounge was playing tricks on my mind.

Good luck with your goals this month!

linzi said...

that looks so delicious! I have been craving avocados for the past week, but I haven't been able to make it out to costco to get the good ones! Do you need to go anytime soon?

Jessica Stoker said...

Looks like green pudding! Tasty tasty.