I haven't posted in awhile, mostly because we have been busy adventuring while summer is still here. I'm going to split up our recent escapades into two posts over the next few days so all of you dedicated readers out there don't go into picture overload. Two weeks ago we had the pleasure of spending the weekend with both my sister and Justin's older sister and her husband. Justin had just finished his first rotation (pediatrics, which he really enjoyed), and had a week off. Spending time with family was great. Highlights of their stay included visiting the Topiary Garden in the heart of Columbus. Can you tell what painting it is modeled after?

We also took a road trip to Indianapolis via Ohio's back roads. Along the way we stopped at the Der Dutchman bakery, a legendary central Ohio Amish-style bakery that makes some of our favorite doughnuts. Their specialty is 6" diameter doughnuts of sugary deep-fried goodness. While enjoying our snack and rocking in the complimentary rocking chairs out front, we watched the steady stream of portly customers and decided the bakery chain might singlehandedly be deliciously causing Ohio's obesity problem.

We also stopped at a farm to get some U-pick blackberries. I love all of the U-pick farms out here. I'm a firm believer in the "Buy Local" movement. You get to see where your food is coming from, and it just tastes better! The farmer was full of Midwest hospitality, and even took us on a tour of his farm, including a visit to see his three litters of piglets. They were cute... and stinky. He had just harvested his watermelon crop, so we got a couple of big juicy watermelons as well.



We ultimately ended up in Indianapolis. Justin checked out some mammoth sized tonsils while strolling along the very hip
Indiana Central Canal, and decided he was glad he didn't go to dental school. We dropped by the NCAA Hall of Fame, and made a new green friend. Justin didn't like him as much as I did.




Anyway, that's one of our adventures. Stay tuned for pics of our camping road trip to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky!
5 comments:
Fun trip!!! And that is one of my favorite paintings! Never thought about doing it in topiary.
Great pictures! It's a month count-down from today until your niece gets rid of her own mammoth-sized tonsils... It's scary how positively thrilled she is about the idea--I have a feeling that the actual surgery may be a letdown! :)
I will definitely need the address (or directions) to that doughnut place! Ry and I still haven't done the whole amish country trip - so any tips/recommendations would be appreciated!! Glad you guys had fun!
Where in the world did you find that garden place??? It's so neat, I would love to take my parents out there, when they come visit in November! Looks like you had a blast, I love summer. Now I am feeling sad that it's over!!! LOL
First of all - BEAUTIFUL pictures, who is the photographer?! Secondly, I can't believe I've never heard about that topiary garden - it looks amazing. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment