Sunday, July 11, 2010

Run!


"Running is one of my favorite things."

You've all heard That Guy/Girl say it. To most listeners, this statement brings to mind one of four assumptions:

A) The individual is lying
B) The individual is trying to impress somebody
C) The individual originates from Eugene, Oregon or an eastern African country
D) The individual is lying

Why these assumptions? Because running is a sweaty, tiring, nasty affair that doesn't involve fun or a ball. So when I say, "running is one of my favorite things", I don't necessarily expect anyone to really believe me. But it's true. I like the quiet in the mornings. Just me, my shoes, and the road. I like the time to think. I like pushing myself. I like blazing past the old ladies jogging on the running trail. I like competing. I like winning. I just really like running.

I wasn't always into running. A lesson most people learn quickly in life is to capitalize on your natural abilities, be it musical, athletic, or intellectual. I ignored that lesson for a solid 13 years, dabbling in basketball, backyard football, and trampoline wrestling. Eventually I realized (read: got owned enough to finally accept) that my imposing stature and build were not conducive to success in contact sports. Distance running became my de facto forte. The perfect sport for little guys composed of 99% slow twitch muscles, without the spandex of swimming. Not to toot my own horn, but I was good at it. High school and undergrad were filled with glory days on the track, cross country, and marathon course.

Then medical school hit. Slogging through page after page of medical text + long hours on the wards = distracted, tired, out of shape, and not running. I didn't consistently run for almost three years. I needed a jump start. I owe the thanks to my siblings, who unknowingly recharged my running batteries by handily destroying me in a run last Thanksgiving. There is nothing quite as motivating as brotherly competition.

So I've re-embraced running. It feels good to lace up the shoes again and pound out the miles. It's like getting reacquainted with an old friend. The sore muscles and sweaty socks are almost cathartic. Yesterday I had my first real race in a long time. It was short, just a 5K. But I had a blast, and ran well. Nothing like the glory days, but it is a start. On the horizon is a 1/2 marathon in September. And I'll say it again. Running is still one of my favorite things.


1. The Crowd 2. The finish. Didn't quite catch the beared man.
3. Post race (flashing my place, not a C-bus gang sign)

8 comments:

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

Just have to say-Awesome.

I am really sort of jealous. I love to run but I'm not very good(ie fast)

Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to take up trampoline wrestling.

Lauren said...

I am also jealous. I've always wanted to be a runner, but don't think my knees will ever let me run further than a 10K.

I bet its a great way to handle med school stress too. Good luck in Sept!

Aubrey said...

That is great! And I would never think that you are lying about running - I know of several people who live for it and run marathon after marathon for the pure joy. Keep at it and maybe we will one day see you at the St. George marathon!

Jamie Younker said...

Trampoline wrestling sounds intriguing! I think it's SO great that you've started running again! For the past couple months I've realized how much I really miss playing the guitar and singing just for the sake of singing... it used to be such a huge part of who I was. But for the past 3 years (ahem- since Addie was born) my guitar has been sitting in the corner, quietly leaned up against the wall collecting dust. And I've missed it!

You've inspired me. Today while the girls are taking a nap, I'm busting out the ol' strings!

Good luck with the 1/2 marathon in September!

ryan said...

It's actually spelled "pwned".

And I still think you're just trying to impress someone - anyone who might read this post.

Julie and Spencer said...

Hey Just-Dawg. I'm glad you and running have reunited. Isn't it great getting back into it? I love that feeling of finishing a long run. Anyway, good luck with the half in September! P.S. I love the comment about running past the old ladies in the morning. Ha!

Jill said...

I'm so glad I started running, even though it is not one of my natural abilities. I love it, and I'm not lying. But it is so hard for people to understand. Glad you've rediscovered it, and good luck in your races! (My secret is to enter the small WY races so I think I'm fast.)

Bruce Richards said...

Running is great, though I think I'd be more likely to beat you at trampoline wrestling.