Monday, September 5, 2011

Summer in Phoenix

While other places are starting to cool down and feel more like fall, here in Phoenix summer is still in full swing. We have been enjoying the constant sunshine and the occasional crazy dust storm, but I think we are ready for the temperature to drop below 80, even if it is only at night. With all the heat, here are a couple of things we have been doing to stay cool.

Drink lots of water.


Go out to dinner (or breakfast). We went to a yummy Mexican place for breakfast on our anniversary. Justin was working nights so it was my breakfast and his dinner.


Float the Salt river. The water is cool and refreshing.


Take a cake decorating class (air conditioned). This was my first cake.


Go on vacation somewhere cooler. I got to spend a long weekend in LA hanging out with two of my old roommates from college. I love these girls.


Afterwards, I meet up with my family to spend a week in a house on Newport Beach. It was fun to be together and Justin even got the week off.




If you do go outside, go really early. Lance came to visit and Justin hauled him up Camelback Mountain at dawn. The sunrise and view were amazing.


Do indoor activities. We spent an afternoon in the cool science center. If you live in the Phoenix area check out culture passes.


Go to the mountains. Justin and I have been up to Payson, Arizona twice this summer to go camping. It is great to escape to cooler and greener areas. Most recently we camped on the rim.


Justin is preparing to run a marathon and he did his 20 mile run the morning we were there. He did a great job especially since he was running 5,000 feet higher than he is used to.

Happy Fall and stay cool!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! So glad for an update! You guys look so happy and productive. Way to go on the cake and the 20 miles! Miss you guys.

Julie L said...

So sweet. I wondered how you were enduring the heat. Not jealous of that. I will, however, definitely be jealous of your winter!

heather said...

Holy cow you guys are keeping busy! I'm so happy that you're loving the area and really getting familiar with it. It's so fun to see an update and hear how things are going!! Miss you guys!

norma said...

Sounds like you've been having some fun experiences. Now about that camping on the rim! Who slept on the outside? Hope nobody is prone to falling out of bed or sleepwalking! Ha!

Scottie and Angie said...

Oh my goodness I LOVE THE UPDATE!!! So good to hear from you:) I can't believe that was your first cake...it is amazing!!! I also loved the beach pictures the one with you all jumping is soooooooooo cool...like up there with the coolest pictures I have ever seen:0
Glad you are having so much fun!!!

Miss ya,
Angie