
I volunteered this week at the Columbus Free Clinic, a clinic managed by students that (as the name so aptly implies) sees patients for free. Medical students run the whole show, from filing to pharmacy to lab work. Several doctors volunteer their time to make final diagnoses and prescribe medications. While not the world's most well-oiled medical care delivery machine, it gets the job done.
This is not the first time I have worked in the clinic, but I wanted to share a few thoughts about why this is a big deal to me. Volunteering at the clinic has several perks besides the warm fuzzies inherent with service. I get to sport my white coat, brandish my stethoscope, and practice my illegible signature on medical forms. The best perk of all is getting to take part in the delivery of medical care. I find I get so bogged down in studying and in all the other distractions that come with medical school and life that I forget what my future career holds in store: caring for patients. That is why I started this long journey in the first place. I want to be able to help someone who is suffering feel better. And volunteering at the clinic lets me do that, even if it is only for a few hours. Even though I only took histories, poked around in people's ears and what not, it was still rewarding. I am acutely aware that I have no idea how to answer questions about desquaminating rashes, binge-drinking induced gout, or give advice on family planning, but it feels good to know that some day I will.
10 comments:
Justin,
I read an article a few days ago about the difference between lawyers and doctors in the world's premier source for semi-accurate information (the Daily Illini). Anyway, some group recently conducted a survey of students entering med school and law school to compare differences and similarities between the two groups. Interestingly enough, for law students, money was the primary motivating factor in choosing to study law. For med students, the primary motivating factor was a desire to help people.
Also, most law students didn't decide to go to law school until they got to college, whereas med students had often wanted to be doctors since they were young.
Anyway, the whole point of this really really long comment is that I'm glad you are working to be a doctor - I still remember your first plastic stethoscope when we were little, and I can't imagine a brother being prouder.
This is random but I really want to get in touch with your wife! I found your blog through one of our mutual roommates at BYU in 2002. FUN times! Tell her that Rachel Maddux Smith wants to talk to her about life. She can email me at rachelkaesmith@yahoo.com
Hey Justin,
I am writing you for three reasons:
A) it was good to talk to you last night
2) I am sorry that it was so late. And
D) I'm diggin' the caricature of yourself. Nice work.
I second Jason. I wake up every day amazed that I have three amazing siblings. Go you!
(great pic)
You know I really don't come here to hear about your sexual fantasies... oh, I mean... that is a cool story; it sounds fun. You are a doctor for REAL...
Are you guys coming out to Utah, AZ, or CA this summer? I think you really should. Poop deck.
seriously, family planning is pretty intense. bravo.
Brianna,
Ask Justin what poop deck means. It's a joke on his "complete profile" page. Haha! Miss you!
Julie
I have to ditto Jason and Chou (Except change it from sibling/brother to cousin). :-) I feel like I have the smartest cousins!
You're such a great guy, but I always knew that. You may wonder how I found your blog, but I can't remember, I was just clicking on a bunch of people's blogs and found it. You have a beautiful wife and I'm glad you're doing good! Check out our blog @ joseyandjill.blogspot.com
Post a Comment