Saturday, February 13, 2010

RSBC Challenge! Week 2: Butternut Squash Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches


This week our RSBC challenge was to incorporate butternut squash into a dessert. I enjoyed the challenge of combining such a healthy vegetable with what is usually the least healthy (but BEST) part of any meal .
We decided to make Butternut Squash Cookies with Chocolate Chips. The squash is great because it makes the cookies so moist without having to use very much fat. We decided to make them even more exciting by putting ice cream in between two to make a sandwich (which made up for the low fat cookie). Since my new love is Velvet Ice Cream (made here in Ohio) we used the amazing 'Olde Tyme Vanilla'.

Butternut Squash Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 ½ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup butternut squash puree*
1 c chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix together flour, soda, baking powder, salt and spices. In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugars. Beat in egg, then vanilla, then butternut squash. Add flour to the mixture and stir until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoons and bake for 12-14 minutes until they’re lightly browned at the edges, but not dark. Remove and cool. Put ice cream on the bottom of one cookie and squish another cookie on top of that to make an oh-so-delicious ice cream sandwich. Eat immediately.

*To make butternut squash puree, cut squash in half long ways. Remove seeds and place face down on a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high until squash is soft and easily removed with a spoon. Blend until smooth in the food processor.


This week I also had fun with cupcakes. These are red velvet cupcakes with cherry chocolate pudding in the middle with chocolate frosting and a cherry on top.
week 2 mileage update:
runned - 13 miles
biked - 35 miles
swimmed - 0 miles

5 comments:

Julie L said...

Oh, you guys are doing so great! Keep it up! These cookies look wonderful. I want to try them.

Jessica Stoker said...

Yum, I am going to have to try the cookies. I can give them to Jackson and he will be getting some vegetables haha. You guys better get in the Ohio state pool.

Chou said...

m'yum yum.

Susie said...

I have plenty of butternut squash yet to consume from the garden this past summer. That looks like a delicious variation!

Jamie Lynn said...

Yum! I am still dreaming about your cupcake, it was divine!