Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ecuador!

For the past four years, Brianna and I have discussed spending a month abroad during the fourth year of medical school. Ohio State has a grant program that provides funding for global health rotations, and I just couldn't pass up such a great opportunity. Unfortunately, Brianna couldn't get a whole month off work. So I abandoned her in cloudy, cold Columbus for a few weeks and jetted off to sunny South America with four other fourth year Ohio State medical students. Luckily, she was able to join me after my rotation was over and we had a grand week long Ecua-style Spring Break. Here are some pics and highlights from our adventures. Enjoy!



I worked in the NICU and Pediatric unit at the Hospital General de las Fuerzas Armadas #1 (Military Hospital) in central Quito.

Every Tuesday night was futbol night. Gringos vs Ecuadorians usually. Chasing a ball around at 9000+ feet left us all sucking air after only a few minutes. We surprisingly managed to hold our own, thanks to Jimmy and Ryan actually being soccer players.


On the weekends we made trips to Otavalo for the Saturday market, Canoa for some beach time and surfing, and Banos for some canyoning and waterfall jumping.

After Brianna arrived, we visited the Centro Historico of Quito, rode a tram up a volcanoe overlooking the city, stopped at the equator museum, spent a few days in Mindo, a little town nestled in a cloud forest on the foothills of the Andes, then flew out to Guayaquil and the beach town of Puerto Lopez for some hammock relaxing.

It was an ideal Spring Break! For more pics, check out the photo album on my facebook profile.

Also, the match is just around the corner. Check back here on Thursday to find out where we will be spending the next three years!

6 comments:

Bea said...

Wow beautiful pictures!!!! Looks like you guys had an awesome time there!

My vote is AZ cuz I'm selfish!

linzi said...

Beautiful pictures!!! Thanks for sharing them! Your trip looks like it was truly incredible. I love how adventurous you two are. We look forward to hearing where you'll be headed! Keep us posted :)

Kara said...

Your pictures are GORGEOUS!!! I love your handstand Justin, and Brianna, that hammock sure looks comfy. It looks like you guys had a marvelous time. What adventures! Now we just have to connect over the summer and share an adventure together. :)

Scottie and Angie said...

WOW what beautiful sunset/beach pictures. Glad you had a great time:)

Scottie and Angie said...

WOW what beautiful sunset/beach pictures. Glad you had a great time:)

Julie L said...

Not sure how I missed this post earlier, but I just now saw it! You're sure you didn't capture those pictures off of Nat Geographic or something? Great job! Looks like a super great experience and I am so glad Brianna got to join you there!