
Our cooking challenge for this week was to make beans for breakfast. We are bean lovers but had not experimented with beans for breakfast before. I know the challenge to was to try to move us from the traditional sweet American breakfast, but I just love a good sugar rush in the morning. We did however branch out into Asian cuisine. We are not very experienced with Asian cooking but had fun exploring it this week. We decided to make Red Bean Paste Pancakes. This is a our variation on a traditional Chinese recipe.


Red Bean Paste Pancakes
Pancake:
1 beaten eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 all purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Zest of 1/2 a lemon (microplane = best friend)
Filling:
1 pkg red bean paste
Whipping cream
In a medium sized bowl or blender mix the first eight ingredients for the pancake. Over medium heat, pore a scoop of batter onto a lightly greased pan or skillet . The mix should spread thinly across the pan. Cook about one minute until firm but not brown. Remove from heat. Spread layer of red bean paste in the middle third of the pancake leaving space on the top and bottom. Fold small top section over the paste then the right third, the bottom and the left third forming a pocket. Use a little extra batter to seal it shut. Turn the heat to high and cook pocket pancake on both sides until crispy. Top with sesame seeds and whipped cream.


On a side note, Justin got me these beautiful tulips for my "February birthday". They give us hope for Spring, especially will all the snow outside.
week 1 mileage update:
runned - 6 miles
biked - 15 miles
swimmed - 0 miles
6 comments:
Congratulations, Brianna!!! Though not officially in the race, I have been giving a lot of thought to how I could turn beans into a breakfast meal aside from traditional Mexican breakfast burritos. Without a kitchen (my excuse) my experimentation has been totally in thought, and I am very impressed with the creative recipes everyone's coming up with! Way to go!
Ok but did they taste good? They kind of look like fig cookies which I love so maybe, lol. GET SWIMMING!
Happy February Birthday!! Those look good. And good luck swimming and biking and running with all the snow outside! Reminds me of another cold place I know.....
Red bean paste is great stuff. Way to expand to your Asian side. I knew I had some sort of influence on you guys.
OK they look good...but I want to know if they tasted good??? Had fun with you the other night!
I have to tell you that I just ate your cupcake for lunch and it was INSANELY GOOD. Wish I could come to book club tonight, have fun!
Post a Comment